Installing Kodi on Apple TV should not be a challenge. How To Install Kodi On Apple TV? although it seems to present some compatibility issues even for those who’re technologically savvy. This means that now users with great equipment, in this case, apple products, have a little more work to do before they can fully enjoy what Kodi has to offer.
Before we proceed, there are a few terminologies that we should make a bit clearer, even for the layman (not technologically savvy).
How To Install Kodi On Apple TV
Let’s highlight a few important words/jargon that may be used here and in other sites to assist you with your installations.
- Jail-breaking: this does not refer to breaking out of jail. It does, however, apply to hacking, if you will, or manipulating or bypassing what manufacturers have installed in their systems, for example, restrictions. By bypassing these limitations, you can then install and customize your device to your liking which in this case involves installing Kodi.
- Mirroring: In case you are not familiar with this term, it implies exactly what it states. It is the duplication of what you see on your Android, Mac or windows device on another device especially, one with a bigger screen, i.e., your television.
- Sideloading: This is a solution to any problems you may encounter, regarding jailbreaking. It involves using a second device or service, to assist you in completing the installation process on the device you want to use.
- Flashing: This refers to resetting a device to a default mode that may be generic to the point of removing features. that was installed by the manufacturer. It means starting from scratch.
Of course, the best part about Kodi has customization features. You can also download numerous movies and series as well as watch live television shows and games. It is these functions that have made Kodi, which was previously known as XBMC, so famous.
INSTALL KODI ON APPLE TV: 4TH GENERATION
Before we begin the steps, let’s take a moment to remind you that most Apple iPads, smartphones and televisions alike, usually if not always, require a jailbreak before you can install unauthorized software onto them.
Apple products are renowned for high-grade quality and storage capacities. Although Apple 1st generation televisions are not retailing in stores at the moment (production ended in 2010) we realize there are still many who possess these products. Below, we will show how to jailbreak the 4th generation Apple television first, then proceed to show you the procedures for other Apple televisions.
JAIL-BREAKING YOUR APPLE TV& INSTALLING KODI
To jailbreak your Apple TV, you’ll need codes and access commands which can be acquired on credible websites. One of these websites is 9to5mac.com. To perform the jailbreak you will need to have the following:
- an Apple TV operating tvOS 9.0 or 9.0.1
- USB- C cable
- X CODE
- A Mac PC
- A Free Apple ID account with privileges for side loading
- Pangu’s jailbreak tool ( can be accessed here > en.pangu.io
- And the IOS App signer.
Shall we begin?
- Step 1- Connect your Apple TV to your Macintosh device using the cable mentioned above (USB-C)
- Step2- Ensure that automatic updating is turned off. To do this, navigate to systems settings, find the
- Updates option and turn off automatic updates.
- Step3- Visit the URL above and download the Pangu’sjail break tool along with the ios signer Application.
- Make sure you extract the two to your device.
- Step4- Proceed to open XCODE, then select the file, new, project, tv OS, Application, single view application, and finally, NEXT.
- Step5- For this next step, we will need to fill out some simple information:
The name of the product: jailbreak
Organization: in this case, your name
iii. Organization identifier code: com.jailbreak apple tv
Proceed to the option labeled next and then create
- Step6- Select product, then the destination and finally Apple TV
- Step7- Under the option for the team, one requires a user ID which you will need to create by navigating to
- XCODE, then preferences, then accounts.
- Step8- Select the option to fix/repair issues in case there are some that need tweaking.
- Step9- Previously, in step 3, we downloaded and extracted some files from pang. You will now need to
- Access the tv ip file, which you’ll find in the payload folder that you downloaded. After this,
- We will proceed to run the IOS App Signer.
- Step10- Under the app- signer; select the provisioning profile for the file that you just created in XCODE.
- Step11- tap on start, under the app signer, select your desktop and save the atvipa.ipa file on your desktop.
- Step12- Open XCODE, proceed to window, then your devices and finally choose Apple TV.
- Step13- Tap the add (+) button under your installed applications and choose atvipa.ipa from your desktop.
- Step14- the jailbreak tool will be sent and enabled on your system. It will appear on your television’s
home screen. Once this happens, launch the application to complete your jailbreak.
Once you have successfully jailbroken your Apple TV, you will need to download an application that will allow you to download and store illegal content onto your device. This application is into tv and can be downloaded by following the link https://applelives.com/download-install-nitotv-jailbroken-apple-tv-4.html
The above steps were tried and accomplished on an Apple, 4th generation TV. We will now highlight the issues that face installation on older versions of Apple TVs.
INSTALL KODI ON APPLE, 3RD GENERATION TVs
Unfortunately, with Apple’s 3rd generation TV, we have hit a snag as far the installation of Kodi is concerned. Fortunately, we can still mirror or cast your shows from your device.
- Step1- Air-parrot should be downloaded then set up on your computer, in this case, a Windows PC.
- Step2- once it’s installed, right-click on the icon, which should be located along your taskbar.
- Upon clicking on it, select your television (Apple TV).
- Step3- After completing step 2 above you should see your desktop on your Apple TV
- Step4- a much simpler step follows: downloading and installing Kodi on your device. (Visit the official Site)
- Step5- upon successful completion of the download and installation, you will now be able to mirror Kodi on your apple device.
MIRRORING KODI VIA ANDROID TO APPLE TV 3
For this maneuver, you will need a rooted android phone. This one may seem like one for the more technically savvy, but, it is only so because you require rooting your phone, which can be done by following online instructions, provided on numerous websites online.
- Once your device is rooted, the rest will be a breeze, starting from the fact that Kodi is readily available, not surprisingly so, on Play Store.
- If you have difficulties or simply cannot locate Kodi on Play Store, for whatever reason, find the APK from the official Kodi website.
- Next, find and download mirroring360 App. You will need this to mirror content from your Android to your television.
INSTALL KODI ON APPLE, 2ND GENERATION TVs
For this, you will need an older version of Kodi, seeing as Kodi is no longer compatible or supporting Apple TV2. One of the older models that work well is “Helix” (14.2). What is required are a Mac device and the Apple TV 2 to begin enjoying Kodi streaming.
Remember the step above regarding downloading into tv? Well, once you have into tv on your Apple TV
Follow these steps:
- Locate Nitotvon on the Apple TV menu.
- Select the first option which should be to install software
- Scrolling through the menu, find Kodi- ATV2.
- Once you’ve located it, working on the same menu, click install
- Your Apple TV2 should begin the installation process and perform what is known as a soft boot.
There is an alternative to the above method, which requires some stringent and specific use of commands. We will show this guide step by step, for those who may need to use it or for devices that are not responding to into tv’s downloads.
USING COMMANDS TO SET UP KODI ON APPLE TV2
Once your Mac device is up and running proceed to input the following command on the terminal/ssh application
- ssh root@ (your ATV2 IP ADDRESS)for example ssh @192.168.1.0
- When prompted for a password, the applicable default password is
- Next, we will enter the following commands, in sequence;
apt-get install wget
wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add –
echo “deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
echo “deb http://mirrors.kodi.tv/apt/atv2 ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
apt-get install org.xbmc.kodi-atv2
Those commands should get you up and running with Kodi. You may now enjoy some long-awaited entertainment through awesome Kodi Streaming.
Although this article is titled installation of Kodi on 4th, 3rd and 2nd generation Apple TVs, we think it may be of help to some if we gave guides to installation on a 1st generation as well.
As mentioned earlier in the text, these televisions can hardly be found in retail chains anymore. but, for those who’re still using them and would like a guide on how to install Kodi on them, this one is for you.
Certain features may be given up when installing Kodi on Apple’s first-generation TV because the process involves some flashing. which subsequently, erases most data and sends the system back to its factory settings, with new default settings.
INSTALL KODI ON APPLE 1ST GENERATION TVs
To set the ball rolling, you will need to update your OS to 3.0.2 for 1st generation Apple TVs.
- Once that is done, navigate to your settings screen and change your audio/video as well as the HDMI settings to RGB HIGH.
- In the next step, use an Ethernet connection(wired) to hook up your device to your internet connection. You cannot use Wi-Fi due to the operating system undergoing some alterations.
- The next step involves you setting up a new flash drive (USB disk) with the name This can be done once you’ve attached it to your Mac device and named or re-named it.
- Next, you will be required to launch the terminal application. once it’s open, use the following command >curl -O http://chewitt.openelec.tv/usb/install-hdd.img.gz
Next, locate the USB drive and enter a new command, shown below
- diskutil list | grep -v disk0 | tail +2
- Once the details of your USB disk are shown, the next step is to un-mount the USB.
- Insert the following command on the terminal >.diskutilunmountDisk /dev/disk1
- Next, initiate the following command >gunzip -c install-hdd.img.gz | sudodd of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m
- The process does take some time to complete, but it is well worth it.
- To finalize the process, there will be a message stating that the disk is in fact, not readable.
You may now un-mount your USB stick
- This next step is crucial and should be followed to the letter unplug the ATV 1from your power source.
- Once it’s unplugged insert your USB disk and fire up your television again.
- After approx. a quarter of a minute, you should see the OpenElec Logo displayed on your screen.
- At this point, ensure that your ATV1 is connected to the internet (via Ethernet of course) otherwise you will not get updates to the downloaded Kodi application.
- Upon completion of the download, installation should begin automatically. There may be some popup notifications and other messages that come up as the warning. You can ignore these messages as they do not require any input on your part.
- You can now remove the USB and proceed to boot your ATV 1. The re-booting may take longer than anticipated but this is only because this is the first time the device is performing this task.
As a disclaimer, we would like to mention that the methods explained in this article and the in particular guide to jailbreaking may not be entirely legal in some parts of the world. Added to that fact, streaming videos from online sites through applications like Kodi is, in itself, not entirely legal nor is it safe to use unauthorized software and content on Apple devices. That being said. Have a blast streaming and mirroring content on your Apple TVs and other devices.
If you have any questions or suggestions about “How To Install Kodi On Apple TV” then let us know by comments.